Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Meatless Lunch Box Ideas to Rock the New School Year

This post is for me as much as it is for you. The secret to getting a rockin' start to the new school year lunches is to have a system. This is my system. I hope it gives you some fresh new ideas.

I have four kids, so I often get confused about who likes what. To counter my forgetfulness, I have made a chart to help remind me. I check off each kid's preferences so when I am making lunches in a hurry, I don't have to think about it.

Here is what I included on my chart:

(Keep these warm in a thermos):
Tortellini with Butter Sauce
Veggie Nuggets
Peroguies
Butter Noodles
Mac and Cheese

(No heat required):
Chips with Queso
Pita Chips with Hummus
Bean Burrito
Quesadilla
Baked Potato with Cheese
Hard Boiled Egg
Pizza
Breakfast Burrito (Egg, Potato and Cheese)
Baked Pretzel with Cheese Dipping Sauce

(Keep cool with an ice pack):
Bagel with Cream Cheese and Jelly
Bagel with Lox and Cream Cheese
Cheese and Crackers
Tuna Sandwich

Toss in a Thermos with milk or a milk box to boost the protein power of a meal.

I include a fruit and/or veggie in each lunch as a side item. Make a list of your child's favorites and rotate these often to prevent boredom.

Fruits and Veggies:
Mango
Blackberries
Golden Raspberries
Raspberries
Apples
Blueberries
Strawberries
Grapes
Carrots
Celery
Bell Pepper
Mushrooms

*I had a Planet of the Apes lunch box when I was a kid, but the one I really wanted was a Shaun Cassidy. What kind of lunch box did you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails